How to use GDAL library on DotSpatial 1.1 ?

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Hi all.
I'm new in dotspatial, i've got some problem to work with raster layer.
I used visual studio 10 and .NET 4.0 (visual c#).
I saw on tutorial that to use different raster, it could be usefull to use GDAL library.
On tutorial, it is said to copy "Data Extensions" on the debug folder.
I can not find this "Data Extensions" on all my download data, which are:
- DotSpatial 1.1 Minimal
- DotSpatial 1.1 Extended
- DotSpatial 1.1 Positioning
The available directories are "Application Extensions", not "Data Extensions".
So, by reading different post on the net, i found one, which is:
http://code.google.com/p/d4em/source/browse/trunk/local/x86Debug/Data+Extensions/GDAL/?r=93
On this directory, there are somes GDAL dll.

Question: Which are the files i need to download in order to open different GDAL files ??

Then, when i drop appManager on my project, as said on the tutorial (ACCESSING GDAL DATA PROVIDER IN DOTSPATIAL), and check the directories collection, i can see that 2 are currently settings (Application Extensions and Plugins).
So, on the debug folder, i create those 2 directories, and put the "DotSpatial.Data.Rasters.GdalExtension.dll" file on the plugins directories.
The other (Application Extensions does not countain files).
I build the app and start it, but when i try to open raster file, i can not see other extention than the 3 proposed (Rastes, DotSpatial and all files). Of Course, when i tryed to open tif file, it dosen't work.

I also tried to load the extension as it was describe on other tutorial (appManager1.LoadExtensions();) but it change nothing when i would like to open raster file.
In additionnal, i've got 3 messages where i need to accept before the app is starting:
"A IDockManager Extension must be included"
"A IHeaderControl Extension must be included"
"A IStatusManager Extension must be included"

So, what i'm doing wrong ?

Is anybody could explaim me the way to do in order to open different raster file as it is shown on different tutorial ?

Best regards,

Selq.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM

You can use GDAL raster layers with DotSpatial 1.1 Extended..

Usually, your problem is related with unblock procedure.. The zipfile must be unblocked..

Developer
Apr 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I think you followed an out of date tutorial. Did you try http://mudnug.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/how-to-support-loading-extensions-in-dotspatial/

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Thank you.

Effectively, by adding the directory "plugins" contained in "DotSpatial 1.1 Extended", it work, i can open some file using GDAL format.
Thank ou again.

Selq.

Developer
Apr 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Can you provide some information to help us understand what was leading you down the wrong rabbit hole earlier? Do we need to remove the links to the old tutorials?

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Please some body can help me in reading, displaying and the Raster of type jpeg,tiff etc in dotspatial using c#.net through button and displaying on map coz i am new to programming and this task is assigned to me. and plz also mentions the .DLL files needed for my program.