GPS update interval and examples?

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Hi, I'm new to DotSpatial but understand the GPS.NET 3 library has been incorporated into the DotSpatial.Positioning namespace - awesome!

Are there any examples on how to communicate and consume GPS positions via the DotSpatial.Positioning class?  Noticed there is a NmeaInterpreter class with events - but what is the correct way to instantiate it and consume it?

Also what is the GPS update interval?  1sec, 2sec?  Is it possible to get faster than 1sec updates (we have a 10Hz GPS unit that we are looking at developing to).  So how do you control the update rate of the GPS positions obtained form the GPS hardware? 

Apart from AutoDetect methods, I can't find anything in the DotSpatial.Positioning library where you can specify things like baud rate, stop bits, update rate, etc.

Developer
Nov 14, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Check the demo app. It shows how to use DotSpatial.Positioning

You can use GPS with different update rates. I can't remember whats involved off the top of my head but i'll dig up the source code and check. The Positioning framework is event driven and it may just work based on the NMEAInterpreter event but I'd really need to check to be sure.

You don't need to specify COM parameters as the AutoDetect method will determine appropriate settings for you.