Adopting .NET Framework 4.5

Developer
Feb 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM

The .NET Framework 4.5 Beta has been out for a while now. Here are a few of its features:

• Ability to limit how long the regular expression engine will attempt to resolve a regular expression before it times out.
  • Zip compression improvements to reduce the size of a compressed file.
  • Better performance when retrieving resources.
  • Updates to MEF to better support generics.
  • new Asynchronous methods in I/O classes for Asynchronous File Operations
  • Support for Internationalized Domain Name parsing
  • WPF Ribbon Control
  • WCF HTTPS protocol mapping
  • WCF Asynchronous streaming support
  • WCF Contract-first development  as well as ?singleWSDL for service URLs
  • C# language features

How quickly do you feel we should move to adopt this update (and abandon .NET 4)?

What features would we start using?

When is your company or project going to adopt .NET 4.5?

Developer
Mar 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

None of these new features sound like they are important enough to us to push us toward this update.

We will likely not move to this until we move to the next version of Visual Studio.

To give some perspective, we have only moved new development (including projects that use DotSpatial) to VS 2010. Our products that are shipping and in use by the most people are still developed in Visual Studio 2008.

Developer
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I agree with vatavian. We definitely would not even consider going to 4.5 until it is formally released.  Even then, I don't see a compelling reason to do so with any urgency.  My $.02.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Not in a huge hurry to go to VS2012 yet but I'm kinda looking forward to developping 'Apps' for Windows 8....a cool mapping app with DotSpatial? :)