Sample Code pages

Developer
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I notice no updates have been done to the sample code since Nov 20th.  Is there a new location for code samples?

Editor
Apr 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Dear Keenedge, I only know about the following Sample Code:

http://dotspatial.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Desktop_SampleCode&referringTitle=System.Spatial.Data

And isn't updated from Nov2010.

Would be useful take more knowledge in form of sample code because several users and developers don't have much idea about some items from DotSpatial.NET project.

Thanks.

Francisco J.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 3:32 AM

Hey guys. We're putting a lot of work into generating sample code in the form of tutorials on this tutorials page: http://dotspatial.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=DotSpatial%20Tutorials&referringTitle=Documentation. We should also add more sample code to the specific modules documentation, though I personally like the tutorial format. If you have any suggestions on improving any of this documentation please post it. Thanks, Dan

Editor
Apr 7, 2011 at 7:12 AM

Yes, Dan, it is a great site, I forgot to tell it to Keenedge.

The tutorials are a great type of learning to develop custom DotSpatial applications.

I'm making a list of tutorials that I think would be useful for many users.

Many thanks.

Francisco J.

Editor
Apr 7, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Here is my custom list of neededs:

1.- How to create a custom Plugin in the last version of DotSpatial.

2.- How to manage gis layers by geoprocessing.

3.- How to implement a custom vector provider.

4.- How to implement a custom raster provider.

5.- How to serialize map or layer information.

6.- How to use GPS Data with the GPS DotSpatial classes.

7.- How to manage custom vector symbology (classified, unique values, charts, etc.)

8.- How to load ECW and MrSID images (I suppose that it'sn possible at now  because ECW give me an memory exception and the layers create pyramids very large)

I think that with this reference and others we could take a better knowledge about DotSpatial programming and give you our sample code return to help with the project.

Hope it serves as reference.

Francisco J.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Great list. Will you please copy it into the actual tutorial page? Maybe in a section below the main table that says: "Potential future tutorials". Then we will have that info right there with the page. 

Editor
Apr 7, 2011 at 7:51 AM

How can I edit the tutorial page? Do I need privileges?

When I have the privileges, I'll do it.

Thanks.

Francisco J.

Editor
Apr 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Edited fine.

Thanks.

Francisco J.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Excellent. Thanks for posting those contributions. Maybe we will have some more volunteers to make those tutorials. - Dan

Editor
Apr 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Thanks Dan for your reply.

I found a method in the MapPointLayer and MapPolygonLayer that could be useful in the Tutorial #4 because when you save the shapefile if you continue digitizing the entities in the map you can find that the drawing is not stoped. If I want to stop the drawing process why don't I call the FinishDrawing method of this classes?

The problem is that the method is not present in the MapLineLayer class and in the another classes it doesn't work.  I think that it is an issue.

Hope it serves for all.

Thanks.

Francisco J.

Editor
Apr 8, 2011 at 7:11 AM
Edited Apr 8, 2011 at 7:12 AM

I Finally think that found the solution. A level class variable amIDrawing As Boolean that initialize at the CreatePointShapefile/CreateLineShapefile/CreatePolygonShapefile tool Menu and stop or put to false in the SavePointShapefile/SaveLineShapefile/SavePolygonShapefile function.

Thanks.

Francisco J.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Note to all that are interested in doing C#.  There is now C# as well as VB in the tutorials.  Anyone having problems with the C# in the tutorials let us know.

Thanks,

Russ