problem with DotSpatial.Positioning

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I've been using geoframeworks GPS code for a while, and just switched to DotSpatial.Postitioning .  Most of the code changes i needed to make this swtich were just namespace issues, so it looked like it was an easy fit, but when it detects the GPS, it comes back with the Position being Empty.  Is the DotSpatial.Positioning code ready to be used yet?

Developer
Feb 22, 2011 at 6:30 AM
Edited Feb 22, 2011 at 6:40 AM

See the comments at the bottom of the DotSpatial.Positioning documentation but not too sure what your exact problem is. Some devices do not transmit any positioning information unless a fix is obtained, so the device may be connecting but no position information may be present. 

A bit more information would help.

What is your device?
How is it connected?
Can you connect to it using a serial console application and see positioning information? Alternatively can you detect and use the device with any of the many NMEA GPS utility programs available?

Sorry - just re-read your post if your coming from GPS.NET then you already know that it should be working...

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I'm using Fransom's GPSGate GPS simulator to simulate the GPS.  Yeah, and like you noticed at the end, i can confirm it works with other serial console applications, since it works with my previous code that used geoframeworks GPS 3.0.  The only change in the code was updating to dotspatial.positioning.  I just wanted to make sure others there could connect correctly with this code, or if it was still largely untested.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Just wanted to see if there was any movement on this issue.  Can anyone else get this to work for them?  Even with the demo that comes with your source code 'detects' the GPS, but doesn't get any data from it.  Would love to update my old Geoframeworks code to DotSpatial. 

Developer
Apr 12, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I have used this build to interprate NMEA data from a few GPS devices without problem in the past, and I believe that others (according to the posts on these forums) have been successful in using this version of the libraries as well.

Can you please confirm that you are using the "working" version as per the comment on the .Positioning help pages as suggested in the post above:

The only "working" version is in the DotSpatial\DotSpatial.Positioning\DotSpatial.Positioning.Compact folder -despite it's name it isn't just for the compact framework. The solution can be found in DotSpatial\DotSpatial.Positioning\DotSpatial.Positioning.Compact\GPS\DotSpatial.Positioning (Visual Studio 2010).sln though I notice that the project paths are mangled so you may need to find the projects yourself. GPS Diagnostics (CSharp).csproj is a demo application that shows pretty comprehensively how to use the libraries.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Ah, you're right.  i apologize.  i wasn't using the 'Compact' one before.  I am now, and it works.  Thanks.

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I have the same problem with the latest version of DotSpatial: no GPS data. With GPS.NET 3.0 all run fine. My Hardware: ExoPC Tablet with Huawei EM770 build in.

Developer
Apr 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I'm not familiar with your GPS unit but as per my previous post:
- what source are you building from.
- have you tested your connection to the unit successfully with other software?
- if other software works then try to detect and communicate using the demo app included in the source.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

i cant search the correct source code for DotSpatial.Positioning for .net compact framework 3.5.
can send me the link here?
please.
and thx a lot. i am new. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:44 PM

"The solution can be found in DotSpatial\DotSpatial.Positioning\DotSpatial.Positioning.Compact\GPS\DotSpatial.Positioning (Visual Studio 2010).sln"

so this compact version is only for deskstop framework 4.0?
and it can't apply for .NET compact framework 3.5 and can't support for  window mobile 6 professional?
kindly advice

Developer
Dec 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM

You may be able to change the target framework of that project to .NET compact framework 3.5.

Let us know your results!