This project is read-only.

Nice avatar

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:39 AM
Edited Dec 14, 2010 at 8:40 AM

I just saw the new avatar of DotSpatial and I find it really nice.

It is something you can easily make a gadget of it. For example a key ring to be handed out during the next conference ;)

--

Paul

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Yes, this was the result of my combining the globe logo at the top (which is blue and yellow) with a spore creature.  I'm not sure what happened to my spore game, so I only used the content available in the free creature creator.  There are a limited subset of animations that we can get him to do in the creature creator, but they cover a broad emotional range and can even be put together into some short animations.  The shadow was added with Paint.Net.  Ever since Microsoft Paint lost the ability to save your selected rectangle to a new image, I have been unhappy with it.  I have adopted Paint.Net as my new, free image editor.  Once I learned how to use the layering and transparency correctly I have never looked back =).  I like the idea of key-chains and other shwag with the avatar on them.  Does the avatar need a name?  If so maybe we should have some suggestions or collect ideas with votes.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I never heard of 'spore creature' before ;) They look awesome (http://www.spore.com/ftl).

A suggestion for a name:

1. DotSpatialist
  2. Dan

Or to stay with the usual names of spore creatures:

• crUcurUw
  • raQabAbe
  • SastebAs
  • desPECRa
  • QadapRap
  • fecrAyuG
  • cEWraJAp
  • nutHuteW
  • vApRatEs
  • trareRay

Thanks to http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/?length=8&alpha=on&mixedcase=on&nosimilar=on&quantity=10&generate=true#password_generator

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:54 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Big fan of Paint.NET myself - wanted to write some plugins to allow it to support GDAL data types but have since decided to put that effort into DotSpatial...

As for avatar names How about Mappy? As in i'm so Mappy (sic) to be using DotSpatial ;)

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I like "Mappy" better than "Dan" :)

*Sent from my Droid*

On Dec 15, 2010 12:54 AM, "tidyup" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: tidyup
>
> Big fan of Pain.NET myself - wanted to write some plugins to allow it to support GDAL data types but have since decided to put that effort into DotSpatial...As for avatar names How about Mappy? As in i'm so Mappy (sic) to be using DotSpatial ;)
>
>
Dec 15, 2010 at 3:37 PM

We might get into trouble when we use Mappy: http://en.mappy.com/

How about

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Mappy was ok, but we shouldn't use it if it is being used already.  Paul's list of names are all very historically map related, though even most of us GIS nerds wouldn't get most of those particular references without the wiki link.  I'm also not sure that we want a serious name.  I think we need it to be playful.  Although if we use just "Marco" it might be enough of a reference for people to get, but not so heavy handed as to sound like an explicit honorific.  Here are some other thoughts:

We could presume the globe is female and call her Dot, Dotty or Terra { earth in Latin and a common girl's name},

The only problem is that it sort of looks more like a bald man, not so much like a girl.  Maybe

Maybe Mapbert, Carto or Spot?

We could have his/her profession be a DotSpatialist.  That sounds like a job.

Melvin the DotSpatialist, or Marco the DotSpatialist

or if we want a little consonance, maybe something like

Dustin the DotSpatialist.

Anyway, keep the ideas comming, or let me know if you like any of these.

Ted

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:54 AM

Names dependent on historical/cultural references are probably not such a good idea - history is sometimes different depending on where you’re from.

Shame about Mappy as I like the idea of a neutral gender character.

Is it too simplistic to just call it Dot (Spatial)? Dot is a not uncommon name in my country of origin (adding eyelashes would make the avatar look feminine)

Can't believe how much of our attention this threads occupying :)