Geocoding

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Geocoding is a very common GIS task, but I have not found any geocoding features in your Dot Spatial project.  Are you planning to implement it or do you know any great open source/free library which enables geocoding functions in C#/.net environment?

Thanks!

Developer
Dec 1, 2010 at 4:11 PM
The easiest way to get this is through web services, rather than a specific library. Specific libraries tend to become obsolete very fast where geocoding is concerned. Certain files, like tiger line files contain enough information to perform geocoding of a sort programmatically. Each line segment has an attribute that describes the address at the start of the line and the address at the end of the line and you can sort of do a linear interpolation for an address found that way. But that kind of thing doesn't do a very good job of handling slight mistakes when typing etc. So my recommendation is to find a geocoding web service (I think google has one) and take advantage if it.

Ted

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:48 AM, tmatrai <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Geocoding is a very common GIS task, but I have not found any geocoding features in your Dot Spatial project. Are you planning to implement it or do you know any great open source/free library which enables geocoding functions in C#/.net environment?

Thanks!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Webservices are not good dolution for me (I know some of them), because the data I would like to geocode is specific one for my country, Hungary. The project I have been working for several years is based on ESRI Mapobjects. It is a commercial library for GIS solutions, but the version we have is too old (2.2) and  based on COM, so now I am looking for a pure .net based one. Your projetcs seems great for me, the only main feature I miss is geocoding. According to your answer I have to find another solution for geocoding.

Thank you for your fast answer!

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2010 at 3:04 AM

I recommend tying your application to the Google Geocoding service. It works great in every country I've tried...

*Sent from my Droid*

On Dec 1, 2010 12:16 PM, "tmatrai" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: tmatrai
>
> Webservices are not good dolution for me (I know some of them), because the data I would like to geocode is specific one for my country, Hungary. The project I have been working for several years is based on ESRI Mapobjects. It is a commercial library for GIS solutions, but the version we have is too old (2.2) and based on COM, so now I am looking for a pure .net based one. Your projetcs seems great for me, the only main feature I miss is geocoding. According to your answer I have to find another solution for geocoding.Thank you for your fast answer!
>
>