Encrypted shapefile

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM

First of all I would like to congratulate to your work, this project is really great.

I would like to ask if yo plan to implement any features to 'encrypt' spatial data. My problem is: I develop a desktop application which has GIS capabilities and displays some maps based on shapefiles, so I have to also install shapefiles on the computer. I need a solution, that makes it impossible to other application to use/open/edit etc. my shapefiles, and makes it impossible to users to use it in their other GIS application, editing them etc. Do ypu have it or do you plan to have it?

Thanks in advance!

Developer
Dec 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM
I think it would be inappropriate for us specifically to develop that since it sort of goes against the whole "open" paradigm we are trying to support for our clients. However, with our extensible data provider setup, you can develop a dll assembly that implements IVectorProvider that reads and writes any encrypted format you like, and converts it into an in memory format that can be used by our system. So it is not required that the source of the FeatureSet is a shapefile at all, but we currently do not plan on developing an encrypted shape format.

Ted

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:44 AM, tmatrai <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

First of all I would like to congratulate to your work, this project is really great.

I would like to ask if yo plan to implement any features to 'encrypt' spatial data. My problem is: I develop a desktop application which has GIS capabilities and displays some maps based on shapefiles, so I have to also install shapefiles on the computer. I need a solution, that makes it impossible to other application to use/open/edit etc. my shapefiles, and makes it impossible to users to use it in their other GIS application, editing them etc. Do ypu have it or do you plan to have it?

Thanks in advance!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Thanks for your answer!

I will dig into your source code to understand the way I should do it.