Create Fork Fails

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I have tried repeatedly to create a new fork of DotSpatial.  It fails after about 10 minutes with following message:

"The source control server is currently unavailable. Please try again later."  Well, I have tried again later, and later, and later.  I created me a brand new codeplex project and uploaded some source files and I was able to fork just fine.  As with the Clone problems I had previously, I think the Fork problem is related to the sheer size of Dot Spatial combined with some timeouts that are inherenet in Codeplex.  This is VERY frustrating, and I don't see a workaround for this.  I have created an issue at the codeplex site for this, but I doubt they will do anything.  This is different than clone in that I am not downloading anything, so the connection speed should not make a difference. 

Kyle

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM
Think there is an issue with the codeplex systems, today

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM, kellison <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I have tried repeatedly to create a new fork of DotSpatial.  It fails after about 10 minutes with following message:

"The source control server is currently unavailable. Please try again later."  Well, I have tried again later, and later, and later.  I created me a brand new codeplex project and uploaded some source files and I was able to fork just fine.  As with the Clone problems I had previously, I think the Fork problem is related to the sheer size of Dot Spatial combined with some timeouts that are inherenet in Codeplex.  This is VERY frustrating, and I don't see a workaround for this.  I have created an issue at the codeplex site for this, but I doubt they will do anything.  This is different than clone in that I am not downloading anything, so the connection speed should not make a difference. 

Kyle

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Also, do you really need a fork? can it be done with a namedbranch?

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I do not have push privileges yet, so the recommended way (I thought) was to do a fork and then push to it and make pull requests.  This is what Ted and I worked out.

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Kyle, it doesn't matter to me.  I only recommended the fork originally since as projects grow larger and contributions come from more and more sources, it can be useful to have some kind of central approval process before commits are made to help keep things organized.   However, if the fork process doesn't work for you, we can just add you and your team as developers if you are not already.  That way you have whatever mechanism you can find to your disposal.  If you want to keep things cleaner, David is correct, you can just commit changes to a separate branch or whatever.  But honestly, I would rather have more coders at the close level than lose coders because Codeplex doesn't work properly.

Ted

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM
This is a distributed source system, so the other option would be to push to a different (aka local or something like bitbucket) repository, and when you are ready, push to codeplex.

Merges would be a pain, but that is the price of a distributed system... and it would be the same as a fork

Developer
Oct 10, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Finally got the fork created.  We'll just hang onto it and keep it up-to-date.  Thanks.