This project is read-only.

Silverlight compatible?

May 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Should we refactor the System.Spatial.Projections dll to be a silverlight dll instead of a regular dll?  Silverlight and WPF projects cannot use standard dll libraries.  However, if it were compiled as a silverlight library it would become usable to those two library directions.  There is no GDI+ drawing in the projection library, so I don't think it will be an issue.  Definitely if it is silverlight, a normal project should be able to add a reference to the dll.  However, porting to linux/mac may require the use of moonlight.  I'm not sure about that.  It may only require moonlight in the event that you are actually using things from the new web visualization parts of the drawing.  However, this would imply that I should probably remove the projection forms from the library.

Also, there is talk about having a mid-layer library that references System.Spatial.Data and that references the lowest level projection library which would be able to supply methods for performing reproject operations on data objects like shapefiles, images and grids.  Dan would like to name this mid-level library System.Spatial.Projection, and label the lowest level library something else like System.Spatial.SpatialReference or something.  Imagine if System.Spatial.SpatialReference were independent and at the lowest level, but was compatible with WPF, Silverlight etc.  This might be more versatile in the long run.

What are the opinions of the group?

May 31, 2010 at 12:08 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Hi Shade1974 as of .Net4/SL4 the binaries are compatible (as long as you do not reference assemblies that have no counterpart in the SL framework). Moonlight is a runtime so you don't need to code specifically for it - it should just run the SL binaries - afaik it is currently feature complete wrt SL4. cheers jd

UPDATE: they are binary compatible if you only reference certain .net framework assemblies. However most of the issues can be worked around by sharing code files between projects and referencing the target platforms version of the dependencies.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clrteam/archive/2009/12/01/sharing-silverlight-assemblies-with-net-apps.aspx
Jul 21, 2010 at 5:14 PM
I am picturing a design where the basic parts like projection and data storage do not have any dependence on Windows.Forms or Silverlight. That way, when someone wants to target a new graphics/windowing framework (DirectX, OpenGL, wxWindows, Gtk#, .Net Compact Framework, Windows Phone 7, ...) they will only have to replace/update/omit the projects/classes that actually need to touch drawing/windowing. I do not know where the best place for these forms is yet, but I do plan to learn more about the current design and participate in the future of this project.
Mar 26, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Hi.  I am trying to use this in Silverlight.  I do not see how that is possible.  I looked at the link to Guthre's article but it seems to me that it is referring to using Silverlight dlls in .Net (Non-silverlight) projects, not the other way around.

I do not see how these are capable of even compiling to Silverlight.  They use a lot of assemblies that are not available in Silverlight.  I tried creating a Silverlight project and copied the class files to it.  Won't work.

If i am missing something, please someone provide instructions on how they were able to use DotSpatial in a Silverlight project.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:52 AM
It would be hard to entirely host dotspatial in silverlight, since it uses native libraries, these would have to be separated, aka a light dotspatial, and a full featured one.

A WPF application is the starting point, if that was to be started, I would think that one might start with Prism, which would allow "guidance" in WPF and siverlight

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3453AB2B-2067-41E4-B087-312D8385CF1B#QuickDetails

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:28 PM, jeffskvorc <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi. I am trying to use this in Silverlight. I do not see how that is possible. I looked at the link to Guthre's article but it seems to me that it is referring to using Silverlight dlls in .Net (Non-silverlight) projects, not the other way around.

I do not see how these are capable of even compiling to Silverlight. They use a lot of assemblies that are not available in Silverlight. I tried creating a Silverlight project and copied the class files to it. Won't work.

If i am missing something, please someone provide instructions on how they were able to use DotSpatial in a Silverlight project.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com