Suggested Reading List
What is DotSpatial?
Project Vision: DotSpatial aims to provide a free, open source, consistent and dependable set of libraries for the .NET, Silverlight and Mono platforms, enabling developers to easily incorporate spatial data, analysis, and mapping into their applications thereby
unleashing the massive potential of GIS in solutions for organizations and communities of all types in a nonrestrictive way.
Who is DotSpatial?
DotSpatial is developed by members of the broader OSGeo .NET developer community. Please join the
OSGeo .NET mailing list
. You can also see a list of our
members and join our growing list of
How is DotSpatial Being Developed?
The goal of the DotSpatial framework is to increase code re-usability by subdividing a fully working GIS framework down into smaller, specialized components. Part of that process involves the separation of the System.Windows.Forms
dependent GUI layer from the business layer. The major libraries are shown below.
Graphical User Interface Libraries
||Map, Legend, Ribbon, Toolbox, Layout etc.
||Data Dialogs or Open File dialog methods
||Modeling controls, tool dialogs, and dialog elements
||Windows Forms Dialogs related to projections
||Windows Forms Dialogs & components for symbology
The source files should remain set for building to the 4.0 framework, but remain compatible with being adjusted to framework 3.5 at least until the HydroDesktop updates to the 4.0 framework in November.
Who is Using DotSpatial?
- To add your project to the list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Communication about DotSpatial
- General discussions about use, role and application of DotNet in the Open Source GIS community should be sent through the
OSGeo DotNet mailing list: email@example.com. This is an open list that anyone can join.
- General discussions about the DotSpatial project specifically should be shared through the
CodePlex Discussion Forum.
- Issues and bugs should be posted to the
CodePlex Issue Tracker.
- Discussions specific to the DotSpatial Developer community - including everyone with developer rights on the CodePlex site are held on this list:
firstname.lastname@example.org which can only be joined/viewed by people who are members of the DotSpatial project on CodePlex.
- Discussions relevant to the DotSpatial Steering Committee are held through:
email@example.com which can only be joined/viewed by people who are members of the DotSpatial Project Steering Committee.