You can create extensions for DotSpatial or you can create your own application using DotSpatial controls. The following factors may influence you to pick one over the other:
- You'd like other people that are using Mapwindow 6 or other DotSpatial-based projects to be able to discover your contribution.
- You want to focus on your business logic, interacting with the map, etc. and not on creating an application.
- You're just getting started.
- Your app won't look anything like the standard Legend and Map layout.
- You wan to embed GIS functionality within a custom application
- You need full control.
Note that you can distribute an application with your extension "built in" by adding it to the Application Extensions folder.