waypoints

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM
I'm a complete newbie here..Any help to get started with the following will immensely help!
  1. getting a list of waypoints from the gnss receiver
  2. setting a list of active waypoints.
  3. any event when a waypoint is reached?
  4. getting speed and poisiton data.
Thx
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Hi rpatwari,

I believe DotSpatial.Position has got some features that you require. The DotSpatial.Position namespace is included in that latest distro. Just hookup a GNSS receiver and with a little bit of tweaking you should be able to receive speed, position and altitude as long as the GNSS reveiver is NMEA complaint. GPS, GLONASS and Galileo all are, so that shouldn't be a problem. I got it to work without a awfull lot of hassle. To my knowledge, Dotspatial does not have a complete application that can record and track waypoints automatically. You'll have to write something yourself but that shouldn't too hard.
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Thanks Hactic! Did you try configuring the Receiver with waypoints programmatically using Dotspatial? Also do you have any product recommendations ( low-cost!) for GPS receivers. Meter level precision is fine for starts.
Jul 17, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Not a problem rpatwari,

I'm not really sure what you mean with 'configuring the receiver programmatically'. A typical GNSS receiver can't be configured in terms of waypoints. You hook it up to a terminal or switch it on and it starts receiving NMEA (among others) sentences from sattellites, disecting them into words and spits out information, such as latitude, longitude, altitude, azimuth etc. You can write your own program that stores waypoints. I'm not sure what you're after. An out-of-the-box solution that will work without any additional programming is usually hard to find and will be costly. I will post a few screenshots later today. I'm at work now and don't have access to my applications that use DotSpatial.
Jul 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Okay, can I do the following...
  1. Configure the receiver with a list of waypoints on my route.
  2. The receiver sends me all the waypoints configured...$GPR00 sentence and
  3. When each waypoint is reached, the receiver shall send me a $GPWPL sentence.
  4. some more stuff to do on this waypoint reached event.
Thanks again for your support!
Jul 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM
The short anwser is : no you can't. I tried to explain previously why, so I'm slightly reluctant to repeat myself.
To me, it seems like you want to tweak the hardware ( GNSS receiver ) and let it do things that it is not designed to do since you specifically asked for those features twice. I suggest you write an e-mail to the manufacturer of your GNSS receiver and ask them to help you. I'm not going to lie about your chances but you have my sympathy.
Jul 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM
I was only refering to the lines

"GPS systems are increasingly used to create and use waypoints in navigation of all kinds. A typical GPS receiver can locate a waypoint with an accuracy of three meters or better when used with land-based assisting technologies such as the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS). Waypoints can also be marked on a computer mapping program and uploaded to the GPS receiver, marked on the receiver's own internal map, or entered manually on the device as a pair of coordinates."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waypoint

So there are receivers out there that can be setup to do what I intended....