dotspatial using .Net 3.5

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Hi all,

in a few weeks I'll start developing a GIS desktop application using DotSpatial libraries.

This application will run inside a third-party container framework that was compiled against framework .Net 3.5.
I see that DotSpatial current version is built against framework 4.0

I wonder if it would be possible to recompile DotSpatial current version against framework 3.5 or I will have to use an older version targeting .Net 3.5.

Thanks advancely for your reply.

Best regards

Paolo

Developer
Sep 4, 2012 at 7:41 PM

This illustrates a problem presented by using third-party components that do not have source code available. When you are ready to do something like move to a new version of .Net, you have to wait and hope for that the third party developer to also update. If you had the source code, it would be easy to update to framework 4.0 by simply recompiling.

I do not have a definite answer to your question about DotSpatial, but I can say that the code I have been writing recently that targets 4.0 would require many changes to compile for 3.5. Depending on how much DotSpatial has also started using the new features found in 4.0, it will also take some effort to back-port the current version to 3.5. Depending on how much of it you need to use, it might be feasible. At least you have the opportunity to load the source code and try it yourself.

It has been a while since DotSpatial moved to 4.0, so if you use the old 3.5 version of DotSpatial there will be many differences from the latest version. This is not necessarily a problem, just something to be aware of.