This project is read-only.

debugging source code missing

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hello, 

as I'm new to DotSpatial and Visual Studio, I don't know how to fix this problem:

sometimes when I'm debugging my application as it ist so far i get an error(?) message because a *.cs file is missing or can't be located. In Windows Explorer I can't locate it either.

see example below.

can someone please help me with this?

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Edited Jul 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Sorry, I thoght the screenshot i pasted would be visible here, but it isn't.

I hope you still  know what I mean

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Just click cancel to tell Visual Studio you don't have that file.

We ship DotSpatial extended with symbols which help with debugging, but you can debug DotSpatial itself if you download the source. Then, you could browse to the files and Visual Studio will show you the corresponding line of code that relates to your execution. You will likely want to keep the source you are using in sync with the binaries you are using.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:48 AM

OK, so if  I get a message like this, it might be a bug in DotSpatial, not in my code? Am I supposed to report these bugs?

Clicking cancel was how I dealt with this so far, and sometimes the application just went on, (though clicking cancel might get a nuisance as the I'm producing more code).

But sometimes Visual Studio becomes very slow after such an error occured. I might have to restart VS or even my machine. Have you got an  explanation for this?

Sometimes the application even stops at that particular point. What's the best way to deal with it?

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM

You could see that message if you try to debug into a library (like DotSpatial) when you don't have the source, or when an exception is unhandled. In the later case the issue could be either in your code or the library (it depends on the exception). An unhandled exception could cause the behavior you are describing.