This project is read-only.

Row, Column

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I don't understand why DotSpatial expects the row and then the column. Is this standard is GIS? I'd expect people would want to use x, y.

layer.DataSet.Value[index.Row, index.Column];

We can't just change this because it would break existing code, but can someone explain this to me?

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Rows and columns are for raster cells. 

A raster is a set of cells arranged in rows and columns and is a commonly used dataset in GIS.

Four geographic properties are typically recorded for all raster datasets. These become useful for georeferencing and help explain how raster data files are structured. This concept is important to understand. It helps explain how rasters are stored and managed in the geodatabase.

Raster datasets have a special way for defining geographic location. Once the cells or pixels can be accurately georeferenced, then it's easy to simply have an ordered list of all the cell values in a raster. This means that each raster dataset typically has a header record holding its geographic properties, and the body of the content is simply an ordered list of cell values.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I mean to ask, if I say the value at (5,4) is 18 did you know that 5 is the row?

I would have thought that would be the column.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Oh,

Interesting. So you are unaware on how and why this is set in stone within the code?