This project is read-only.

Help GPS Point Projection and Mapping on Map

May 24, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Dear all,

I am working on a project that used to integrate GPS and GIS. The software need a simple funcion that visualise GPS points on the GIS map and I therefore have used Dotspatial GIS library. But I have to mention that the Positioning class in Dotspatial is difficult for me because I always encountered some mistakes. I thus have used old GeoFramework.GPS for GPS functions and combined Dotspatial for GIS functions, both of them work well for my project.

Now, I have a problem for visualisng GPS coordinates on the Map. According on previous helper on this forum, I made my coordinate visualisation code as follows:

private void map1_Paint(object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
        {
            // if gps sentence is receiving and display enabled
            if(_GpsDisplay == true)
            {
                // draw a ellipese at the current gps position, using PaintEventArgs
                map1.ResetBuffer();    
                Graphics g = e.Graphics;
                Pen pen = new Pen(Color.Red, 3);
                Coordinate c = new Coordinate();
                c.X = (double)_GpsLat;
                c.Y = (double)_GpsLong;
                System.Drawing.Point ptGPSinPixels = map1.ProjToPixel(new DotSpatial.Topology.Coordinate(c));
                g.DrawEllipse(pen, new Rectangle(ptGPSinPixels.X,ptGPSinPixels.Y,5,5));   
            }
        }

The code work well if only visualise a coordinate on the screem. I have two problem i cannot deal with. One is that how can i project my coordinates at specific projection, such british OSGB map, i can find the projection in the library list, but i do not know how to project A POINT with Latitude, longtitude and Altitude if the data coming from the serial port of GPS continously. en, The second problem is how can i keep the trajecotories on the map (these coordinates tracks) when other or next points come in?  Any suggesions could be usful and appreciated for the solution.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:44 AM

Create a point and assign it's X,Y values the longitude and latitude. Then reproject this point from the WGS84 projection to your target projection in the usual way.