This project is read-only.

how to localize?

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Software localization is incomplete,if I want to  localize  all,  I should how to do?

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Hi netbull,

Thank you for your interest in localization of  DotSpatial.

Which language are you interested in?

Currently the most complete localization is for the chinese language. You may use the chinese localization files as an example for your language.

The localization of DotSpatial into the selected language has two parts:

1. Translate the Form and Control .resx files. To translate a form and other GUI items, you can open the DotSpatial.sln solution in Visual Studio and set the "Language" property of the form to your language. Then you translate all text in the Visual Studio designer, save your changes, and set the language back to "Default". To test your translation, set the "Windows regional and language settings" to your language and run the "DemoMap" project and you'll see the texts in your language.

2. Each of the DotSpatial assemblies also have a MessageStrings.resx file. These are the messages shown to the users. To translate these messages, you create a copy of MessageStrings.resx with your language code (for example, MessageStrings.cs-cz.resx for Czech language) and translate the message texts.

Regards,

Jiri

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Hi Jiri,

thank you for your explanation.
I`m working on localizing DotSpatial UI-Elements for German users at the moment.

Can you explain me a way to share my results with the DotSpatial Community?
Or isn`t it possible?

Thank you in advance,

Martin

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Feel free to create an issue and upload them there (or post a link to the files in this discussion). We'll review the contribution and include it in the next release.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Hi,Do we need to compile dlls with new changes?Can't we ave sattlite dlls for localization?
Sep 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM
I tried to download the source code but the link does not work.How can I download it in case of localizating its forms and messages?any idea?
Sep 6, 2014 at 6:06 AM
The download link on the source code page does work. Sometimes it just takes a lot of time until it reacts.
If you continue to have problems you could use tortoise like described in the Documentation.
Sep 6, 2014 at 6:43 AM
Thanks very much
Sep 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Hi,Does we need only upload resx files that is translated?or any other files should be uploaded in case of sharing them?
Sep 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM
I think the resx files should be enough. Just add on which changeset you based them.
Sep 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Thanks for your help.I have translated resx files but some parts are not changed yet.For example where is the strings of right click menu in legend control?I could not find them.or some strings in propertic dialog of layers :(
Sep 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM
The strings for the legend menu you find in the SymbologyMessageStrings.resx
Look in the DotSpatial.Symbology folder
The layer property dialogs you find in the DotSpatial.Symbology.Forms folder,

In which language you translate?
I had translated to German, Italian and Portuguese Brazil.
Sep 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Thanks alot for your help.I am translating to fa-IR but I also faced a new problem,Fa-IR(Persian) is a right to left language and also defulte windows font,Microsoft Sans Serif,Does not support this language full,Some charackters are not shown by this font and I must change dialogs and menu fonts to Tahoma,Is this possible to change it in the main project?So my translations could be used in next versions of dotspatial
Sep 13, 2014 at 9:02 AM
Yes you can change the font property for each text object on a form, menu or dialog.
Open the dialog form in Visual studio and change localizible to true and Language to ,Fa-IR
Click on the text object on the form and change the font property to Tahoma.
The changes are saved in the .....-Fa-IR.resx file.
Sep 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM
So this changes is in my compiled vesion of dlls is there any way that dovelopers change the font so it would be better
Sep 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM
I think this is complicated maybe the new font is a little bit larger and the strings do not fit in all text box, label, menues...
In this case the developer needs to check all forms and dialogs.
But you can open an issue to sugest this.
Sep 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM
New font for everything is a bad idea. DotSpatial uses default font and should continue use it.
Sep 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM
am2,

please point out the places where you can't change the font by editing the Fa-IR.resx files.
Sep 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM
No As far as I know the problem is with font.It uses arabic charckters instead of persian so some charackters are unknown by this font.In every dialog and messagebox that uses Microsoft Sans Serif this problem exists :(