DotSpatial win Windows Mobile

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I´m working with Franson components but it´s desconinued and have very bugs...

DotSpatial run in windows mobile ??? I need view shapefile or jpeg or png georeferenced in windows mobile, with dot spatial is posssible ?

DotSpatial join GIS.NET too ?

Developer
Feb 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

No, it won't work in Mobile, or at least it has not been built with that intent, and it would likely be a total bear to change at this stage to make it work that way.  We have developers working on a separate map control for that purpose, but I don't think they are ready to go public yet. These days, it's going to be ever more confusing how to support that.  It used to be you built a WindowsMobile solution and then you could only reference WindowsMobile based projects and solutions, which were built with a slightly different framework version, and support for only a small subset of the framework was available.  Also, as with any device programming, your system resource model is completely different as you have much less ram, file space etc on a portable device, so you would really want to create a GIS app that was designed for that purpose, and DotSpatial is not.  It tries instead to answer the need for an analysis framework.  That is, a GIS app that can host the basic components so that you can write tools that do research on GIS datasets like shapefiles, images and terrain rasters or whatever.

I have not heard of GIS.NET.  I tried googling GIS.NET it as well as www.gis.net and didn't get anything useful.  If they exist it doesn't look like they are well advertised enough to show up on google searches, or maybe not in English?  Do you have an actual hyperlink for this?

Ted

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I'd worked both on Franson & GIS.NET. The GIS.NET was the product of Geoframeworks, and this company has been closed now. Ted, I'm surprised that you are not heard about GIS.NET, because GPS.NET  which is one of the product of Geoframeworks is used in DotSpatial for Positioning class. GIS.NET was very good library in comparison to Franson Tools because it was build on 100% managed code while franson is a C++ wrapper.  Also, the geoframeworks were promised that they will open the source codes of GIS.NET like GPS.NET but they had not yet do this. However, they had open the source code of GPS.NET.

I'm working on Windows Mobile and trying to develop dot spatial extension for Windows Mobile but it is still in conceptulization phase.

Bisen

Developer
Feb 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Yes, GeoFramework2 and GPS3 I had heard of, but I didn't realize there was more GIS product out there related to those projects.  I wasn't the one to bring that code into the fold, however, and so didn't know that much about the original source or company.  Maybe Tidyup would know more, but I guess it doesn't matter if that code is not currently available and they are not an active community.  It sounds like it might be fairly redundant with the basic GIS capabilities we already have though.  If you find out they have some useful source that you think we should try to assimilate, then I'd be interested to hear more about it.

Ted

Developer
Aug 4, 2011 at 2:49 AM

I was one of the developers on the GPS.NET open source initiative. FYI: GIS.NET was never promised to be released to the open source community. Jon Pearson the original developer is not contactable.