This project is read-only.

UniqueName not used by ShapeEditor plugin

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:19 AM

This property is defined in \DotSpatial.Controls\DotSpatial.Controls\PluginToken.cs. Is it obsolete?

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Be careful, I may not be using it but it may still be used by plug-in developers as a handle to find their plug-in.  Brian used this technique for his ITool interface, and so I think he might have been involved in insisting that such a thing existed.

Ted

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM
There is also a property called Name. Could it be used in place of UniqueName?

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Mathew, it sounds like you want to get rid of this or replace it with something better.  Whatever you want to do is fine since I don't think this feature works very well right now.  In other words, while it says it's unique in the property name, I doubt that it has any code in there to actually enforce that uniqueness.  Further, if people were using it for serialization, we can't let it be dynamically assigned (updating the name based on the current members or whatever) since it would ultimately fail to deserialize if the environment changes.  We don't have any sort of registry where plug-in developers could apply for a unique name and then be given a name that is guaranteed not to interfere with someone else's plug-in.  So if you'd just like to tank the property, or even better, implement any of the above services, then I think whatever you want to do is ok.

Ted

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Removing the property would be rather simple. When creating the example Plugin "DemoPlugin" it was not clear what the intent behind the UniqueName was.

Do any other plugin developers have a comment?

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM
Can you take a look at some of the "tool plugins" and see if they use it?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:31 PM, mudnug <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Removing the property would be rather simple. When creating the example Plugin "DemoPlugin" it was not clear what the intent behind the UniqueName was.

Do any other plugin developers have a comment?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences
Idaho State University - Idaho Falls
amesdani@isu.edu
geology.isu.edu
www.mapwindow.org

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Brian uses the UniqueName in the ITool to serialize the tools when you build and save a model, so they need the UniqueName more or less as it is currently set up, unless you also address the deserialization issue simultaneously.

Ted

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM
The Tools that appear in the Tool manager seem to inherit ITool and provide a ITool.UniqueName