setting up visual studio 2010 environment

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I'm new to VC# and I'm trying to figure out how to add the DotSpatial.Control.SpatialToolStrip to a new windows form designer window.

The control does not show up in my Toolbar and I'm not sure how to add it to my form.

Can someone help?

Thanks,

Alan

Developer
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Right click on the toolbox and choose "Add Tab".  Name the tab something useful like "DotSpatial".  Then Right click in the tab and select "Choose Items".  This will bring up a dialog where you normally select controls to add them to the toolbox from either the .Net tab or the COM tab.  Those controls in the .NET tab have been registered with the GAC.  So there can really only be one version of it at a time.  We are trying to move away from that sort of registration as it causes problems if you have two separate apps that use slightly different versions of our library or whatever.  This is an issue that has plagued the MapWindow activeX control because in order for the COM based ActiveX control to run you absolutely have to register it, while with .Net applications, you don't have to register it with windows.  However, this makes the step of getting the controls to appear in your toolbox a little more complicated.  Instead of choosing the .Net tab or the COM tab, you will want to use the "Browse" button at the lower right hand corner.  Use the file dialog in order to hunt down your copy of the DotSpatial.Controls.dll.  Click ok, and close out the choose items dialog by clicking ok there as well.  You should see a set of controls appear in your toolbox.  Not all of them have fancy icons or anything at this point.  The major players are of course the Map, Legend, SpatialToolStrip, SpatialStatusStrip, and finally the AppManager.  You can use the properties on the controls to let the controls work with each other.  The "Legend" and "ProgressHandler" on the map should be the legend control and the SpatialStatusStrip respectively.  The progress handler can also be the SpatialProgressBar.  There are some basic getting started tutorials.  The "Developers Corner" gives step by step instructions on what I just told you complete with pictures as the first topic.  You can find this on the first page under the Documentation Tab.

Ted

Developer
Jan 13, 2011 at 1:49 AM

There is a video demonstration at http://screencast.com/t/tuEfbInl

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Hi Ted,

I tried adding DotSpatial.Controls.dll as you mentioned but when I do I receive :

"error loading types from assembly <path to Dotspatial.Controls.dll>Dotspatial.Controls.dll 'Could not load file or assembly 'DotSpatial.Projections, version =1.0.0.28456, culture..or one of its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified."

It seems there is a path issue trying to find the Dotspatial.dll files.

Is this a LIB path setting problem? 

Thanks,

Alan

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Hi All - I was able to resolve the problem.  Previously I had added the dlls required to run the Demo.Map sample app using gacutil.  When I removed the dlls from the gac I was able to load the dll into VS. 

Thanks,

Alan