This project is read-only.

Legend - Add Additional Feature

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I come across this often. I have multiple layers that I need to change the color, symbol, etc. Right now I need to do these indivdually. If I have 20 layers with similar properties, doing this 20 times is tedious.

Can the Legend be modified so that the user can select multiple layers and have the same properties (only those that are common to all layers obviously) applied at the same time? This would be a great feature to add.

Terrry

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Hmm.  A special purpose bulk symbology form would be ok, but here is the rub.  It won't be able to use the existing form because the existing layer dialogs are mostly about setting up schemes based on underlying attributes, and it would produce lots of problems if the attributes don't match up.  We could definitely design a special purpose form that has this intention in mind and launch it if more than one layer is selected in the legend.  I will set this to "FeatureRequest" though and I can't say that this would be in the urgent category, but it is a good idea, so if it gets lots of votes I will upgrade the importance.  If you want to help author such a thing that would be great.  You might have its appearance vary based on the types of layers selected.  If only feature layers are selected you get feature symbology content.  If only line layers are selected you get even more.  Etc.

Ted

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Hi Guys,

I did something similar with the print layout form. If you select more than one element, only the common properties are displayed in the property grid. But realistically the property grid did all the heavy lifting. I just wired it up. Since we're using a window instead for layer symbology I think it will be hard to achieve.

Brian

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM

On the feature I recommend rethinking this as more of a "CopySymbology" action to where you could copy the symbology from a single layer and then paste it to as many layers as you want in the legend, and each gets whatever amount is appropriate.  If the feature type and attributes match, then copy everything.  If the attributes needed aren't there, then copy the categories but not the filter expressions.  If the feature type is different, only copy the common features.  If the layer is not the same data type (raster/image/featureset) then we just ignore.  This is doable since the CopyProperties is there for individual symbolizers, and we just have to write the code that tests the attributes and handles the filter expressions appropriately.  However, I have some more fundamental stuff to get working at the moment, so the issue is on standby for now.

Ted

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM

This sounds like the best solution and fairly multifunctional.

Terry

Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:29 PM
To: terrykrista@primus.ca
Subject: Re: Legend - Add Additional Feature [DotSpatial:236039]

On the feature I recommend rethinking this as more of a "CopySymbology" action to where you could copy the symbology from a single layer and then paste it to as many layers as you want in the legend, and each gets whatever amount is appropriate. If the feature type and attributes match, then copy everything. If the attributes needed aren't there, then copy the categories but not the filter expressions. If the feature type is different, only copy the common features. If the layer is not the same data type (raster/image/featureset) then we just ignore. This is doable since the CopyProperties is there for individual symbolizers, and we just have to write the code that tests the attributes and handles the filter expressions appropriately. However, I have some more fundamental stuff to get working at the moment, so the issue is on standby for now.

Ted

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com