New to DotSpatial

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I'm looking at this project for a fleet tracking application I have. The application was already in beta using Geoframeworks' GIS.Net 3.0 when they closed so I'm scambling to find another solution. I have a SQL table containing GPS poistioning data and need to animate objects or symbols on a shapefile map nothing real complicated. Looking to find out if this project can help me accomplish. I understand that it uses alot of the Geoframeworks GPS.Net stuff in your assemblies. Is there an assembly that I can pass lat\long in a row loop to animate a symbol?

I was looking at SharpMap previously and the moderator there said I should look at your project.

Thanks

Chuck

Coordinator
Nov 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Hi Chuck, welcome aboard. DotSpatial is an effort to integrate lots of similar parallel DotNet projecfts and work toward a real strong open source GIS API and ArcObjects alternative. Large portions of the code were previously "MapWindow 6" but have been pulled out of our MapWindow project into a low level library (which we will be using in MapWindow and other projects). The project is growing quickly and many of the improvements are coming from users. So feel free to download the code as well as the assemblies so that if you see any areas for improvement you can join the effort. - Dan

On Nov 7, 2010 5:27 AM, "csalerno" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: csalerno
>
> I'm looking at this project for a fleet tracking application I have. The application was already in beta using Geoframeworks' GIS.Net 3.0 when they closed so I'm scambling to find another solution. I have a SQL table containing GPS poistioning data and need to animate objects or symbols on a shapefile map nothing real complicated. Looking to find out if this project can help me accomplish. I understand that it uses alot of the Geoframeworks GPS.Net stuff in your assemblies. Is there an assembly that I can pass lat\long in a row loop to animate a symbol?I was looking at SharpMap previously and the moderator there said I should look at your project. ThanksChuck
>
>
Developer
Nov 7, 2010 at 4:29 PM
Our positioning implementation is brand new, but basically all the geoframeworks and GPS stuff is actively being integrated into DotSpatial.Positioning. I say actively because the one guy that actually has a GPS device to test says that there were a lot of link demand exceptions that were popping up when he tried to run it. However, the original, unmodified code for GPS 3.0 and Geoframeworks 2 is available in the DotSpatial.Positioning.Compact directory and you will have access to that in its unmodified format until we have verification that DotSpatial.Positioning is working correctly. The rest of the framework will help you to load and display shapefiles in the background of a .Net control that is a map. The Map, legend, status strip, toolstrip, ribbon and other controls exist in DotSpatial.Controls. The getting started tutorial is probably a little out of date at this point since we just refactored the code base. Simply create a new tab in your visual studio toolbox, right click in the tab's space and click on "Choose Items". Then navigate to the "DotSpatial.Controls.dll" library in order to add the GIS tools to your toolbox. Adding a Map to your project is as simple as drag and drop. To help get started quickly, we have a ToolStrip pre-configured with buttons that will help you show content in the map. If you drag on a toolstrip, make sure to set the "Map" property on the toolstrip. Then you should be able to use the green plus to add data layers.

Displaying the active GIS points is a little tougher. I have now added some new sample code that you can find here:

http://dotspatial.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=RandomPoints&referringTitle=Desktop_SampleCode

that does what you are describing. It implemented a bug fix to get this, so right now the sample code only works in the most recent source code commit to the repository. You can either use that, or wait until I post the 11/7/2010 release later tonight.

Ted

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 4:27 AM, csalerno <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm looking at this project for a fleet tracking application I have. The application was already in beta using Geoframeworks' GIS.Net 3.0 when they closed so I'm scambling to find another solution. I have a SQL table containing GPS poistioning data and need to animate objects or symbols on a shapefile map nothing real complicated. Looking to find out if this project can help me accomplish. I understand that it uses alot of the Geoframeworks GPS.Net stuff in your assemblies. Is there an assembly that I can pass lat\long in a row loop to animate a symbol?

I was looking at SharpMap previously and the moderator there said I should look at your project.

Thanks

Chuck

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Sent from my HTC Tilt™ 2, a Windows® phone from AT&T

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 12:29 PM
To: csalerno@csitgroup.com
Subject: Re: New to DotSpatial [DotSpatial:233780]

Our positioning implementation is brand new, but basically all the geoframeworks and GPS stuff is actively being integrated into DotSpatial.Positioning. I say actively because the one guy that actually has a GPS device to test says that there were a lot of link demand exceptions that were popping up when he tried to run it. However, the original, unmodified code for GPS 3.0 and Geoframeworks 2 is available in the DotSpatial.Positioning.Compact directory and you will have access to that in its unmodified format until we have verification that DotSpatial.Positioning is working correctly. The rest of the framework will help you to load and display shapefiles in the background of a .Net control that is a map. The Map, legend, status strip, toolstrip, ribbon and other controls exist in DotSpatial.Controls. The getting started tutorial is probably a little out of date at this point since we just refactored the code base. Simply create a new tab in your visual studio toolbox, right click in the tab's space and click on "Choose Items". Then navigate to the "DotSpatial.Controls.dll" library in order to add the GIS tools to your toolbox. Adding a Map to your project is as simple as drag and drop. To help get started quickly, we have a ToolStrip pre-configured with buttons that will help you show content in the map. If you drag on a toolstrip, make sure to set the "Map" property on the toolstrip. Then you should be able to use the green plus to add data layers.

Displaying the active GIS points is a little tougher. I have now added some new sample code that you can find here:

http://dotspatial.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=RandomPoints&referringTitle=Desktop_SampleCode

that does what you are describing. It implemented a bug fix to get this, so right now the sample code only works in the most recent source code commit to the repository. You can either use that, or wait until I post the 11/7/2010 release later tonight.

Ted

Thanks

Chuck

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email DotSpatial@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM
Thank you Ted.

I will review your link today.

Chuck

Sent from my HTC Tilt™ 2, a Windows® phone from AT&T

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 12:29 PM
To: csalerno@csitgroup.com
Subject: Re: New to DotSpatial [DotSpatial:233780]

Ted

Thanks

Chuck

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Thanks Ted,

I have integrated your latest version into my desktop app. Even though I can get the symbol to move using the data fed from my database the positioning is visable in the South Pole instead of South Florida. Also too I'm having trouble zooming to the area containing my symbol(s) using

map1.Extents.SetExtents(GPSExtentsRow.MaxX, GPSExtentsRow.MinY, GPSExtentsRow.MaxX, GPSExtentsRow.MaxY);

double

dblOrigLat = 0;

double

dblOrigLong = 0;

dblOrigLat = StringToDecimalDegrees(r.Latitude);

dblOrigLong = StringToDecimalDegrees(r.Longitude);

Coordinate c = new Coordinate(dblOrigLat, dblOrigLong);

foreach (IFeature feature in  vehicle.Features)

{

feature.Coordinates[0] = c;

//feature.Coordinates[0].X = StringToDecimalDegrees(r.Latitude);

//feature.Coordinates[0].Y = StringToDecimalDegrees(r.Longitude);

}