Looking for mapping engine solution

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Hi - although I am a .net developer, I'm brand new to Dot Spacial and mapping. I am in need of a mapping engine that will render maps to a web application PLUS a disconnected-from-the-internet car system that runs on laptops. Would your software work for this? Thanks very much.

Developer
Sep 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I'm not sure how well this code currently fits the web application model.  The disconnected software that runs on laptops would be an ideal situation for this software.  The GDI+ rendering will have no trouble creating the bitmap that you might want to show on the web, but currently the data-access model is very much working on a persistent in-memory concept, rather than a model where you access the memory, draw the picture and then let the memory go away.  While we are in the process of setting up file-based data access methods, there is no guarantee as to how long that will take before it is at the point to work well as a web service.  The implication is that currently you might end up preserving costly memory states for multiple sessions on a web server.  I don't know how good it is, but the "SharpMap" project is another OSGeo open source project that is getting involved with the DotSpatial project, and their principal design is for the web-mapping aspect of it.  So maybe the web server application could use that more easily and with less tinkering.