Please post your questions and issues to that discussion forum.
What is DotSpatial?
DotSpatial is a geographic information system library written for .NET 4. It allows developers to incorporate spatial data, analysis and mapping functionality into their applications or to contribute GIS extensions to the community.
Dr. Dan Ames is the project manager for DotSpatial.
DotSpatial provides a map control for .NET and several GIS capabilities including:
- Display a map in a .NET Windows Forms or Web application.
- Open shapefiles, grids, rasters and images.
- Render symbology and labels
- Reproject on the fly
- Manipulate and display attribute data
- Scientific analysis
- Read GPS data
- May 6, 2016: Development moved to
- April 28, 2016: DotSpatial 1.9 released
- September 15, 2015: DotSpatial 1.8 released
- July 6, 2015: Source control has been changed from TFS to Git
- June 5, 2015: Added an updated Developer Getting Started Guide. The tutorial
section has also been updated.
- July 25, 2014: Released DotSpatial 1.7. Details here.
- May 1, 2014: Added several YouTube videos of sample projects (below)
Watch Videos of Sample DotSpatial Projects
The following videos show a custom application and then describe the source code used:
- Mountain Top Mining - includes map and legend, raster/vector analysis, how to create new rasters, map algebra, etc.
- Cut Fill Calculator - map, legend, graph, buffer, intersect, clip, map algebra, inverse distance weighting (IDW) interpolation, etc.
- Trail Map - online basemaps, support for plugins, simple layout, map, legend, graph, digitize, etc.
- another simple raster/vector analysis tool. Shows how to use line drawing on the map (LineDrawing.cs).
- Soil Profiler - GUI based plugins, LineDrawing, graph, map, legend, adding your buttons to the existing plugin toolbar, etc.
You can also get started by trying a
tutorial or downloading the
Visual Studio template.
Click the Source Code tab to browse or download the
DotSpatial automatic builds, automated tests and more.
Who uses DotSpatial?
Download the source and learn
how to contribute.
Please join the OSGeo .NET mailing list or subscribe to the
You can also see a list of our
steering committee members and our
- Join the MapWindow/DotSpatial Announcements Mailing List for occasional announcements about major releases, conferences, and workshops.
- General discussions about the DotSpatial project specifically should be shared through the CodePlex Discussion Forum.
- Issues and bugs should be posted to the CodePlex Issue Tracker.
- General discussions about use, role and application of DotNet in the Open Source GIS community should be sent through the OSGeo DotNet mailing list: email@example.com. This is an open list that anyone can join.